Friday, November 19, 2010

Time for Something Completely Different

I can't tell you why people play videogames, merely offer suggestions.  Maybe it has something to do with escapism, the need to have something out of the ordinary -- a distraction -- in our routine lives.  Maybe it's a way to find a few hours of entertainment not found in other forms such as reading a book, watching a movie or even playing a board game.  To some, perhaps they are nothing more than a way to kill time.  The reason I take the time out of most of my days to sit and play a game is that I want a unique experience.  I want something that makes me look back fondly on my time with that game.  There are not many games that achieve this.  I don't mean to say there are only a few good games in the world, but rather to offer the question: how many games have you played that made you feel good about yourself?  I imagine not too many.


I aim, more directly, to question the feelings inspired through videogames.  There are games that can shock and others that can impress, but what games are there that make you feel at peace?  Serenity is not a common goal of game developers.  People usually want action and excitement, coupled with blood and gore, to make them feel more than human.  Things presented in videogames are almost never things found in reality.  Is that true also for what the videogames inspire in us?  Surely you can be proud of your life's achievements just as easily as you can of your gaming achievements.  I also have no doubt that a game can create feelings of love within the player or feelings of hate.  Are these feelings different because they're triggered by a world of fantasy?  What is your own perception of life if not a fantasy?  Videogames can imbue us with feelings that are perhaps more real to some than their actual lives.  But back to the feeling in which I am most interested: peace.  I don't know of many games that can be considered peaceful or even calming.  Flower comes to mind, but only the first half, and also an old Flash game called Boomshine, which involves some strategy and possibly frustration.  I obviously don't know of every game, but I would indeed be shocked if there was such a game that could bring about acceptance and peacefulness.

Videogames are inherently active.  You can't have a game where the point is to be at peace.  There is no game that doesn't require some amount of action, even if that action is balancing on a small piece of plastic, as in the "meditation" minigame of Wii Fit Plus.  Even if such a game existed, I'm not sure if it would then fit the definition of a "videogame."  There are games that simulate life.  Games like Second Life, EVE Online (for a futuristic lifestyle), or even games like The Sims can open up worlds with no set objectives or stories that drive the player to some end-goal.  These games are marvelous steps for gaming in a direction not usually treaded by other developers.  Players seem to care about their characters or online jobs more than they care about other people in the real world.  But then again, who defines what's real?


The act, if one can call it such, of being at peace is not possible in videogames and, commonly, not an option for people in their lives.  Serenity is possibly not an option for people who do anything other than attempt to gain a grand sense of acceptance and tranquility.  It may be unfair for me to hope for that feeling to come from videogames.  I think I feel the most calm or peaceful when I'm sitting comfortably, reading for personal enjoyment and accompanied only by silence.  It's a wonderful feeling to have nothing to do other than taking the time to enjoy yourself.  I have heard happiness defined as "the state of wanting nothing," but I'm not sure whether I agree.  There are times when I want to do nothing, times when I want nothing. Those are not times when I feel happy, but lethargic and bored.  Videogames are able to influence a person's life; I would argue much in the same way a novel or film could also influence someone.  Can these mediums cause a person to be happy?  Is there a game that allows people to want nothing?  I'm not sure that can ever be the case.  One must find certain things in life and nowhere else.  I would suggest "peace" as one of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment