Wednesday, August 4, 2010

IGN Editor's DDR Duel

Earlier today, I was listening to IGN's Nintendo Podcast, because I had several hours of free time, you see. In the middle of this podcast by Craig Harris, there was an announcement of a "meet and greet" at 4 pm in the 21st Amendment Bar and Cafe in San Francisco. I was excited to say the least, audience. I decided to go and meet this, hopefully, small group of people, introduce myself, give out Super Dope Game Reviews information and be on the fast-track to videogame journalism. I even left work two hours early (no big loss, really) to get there on time. Anyway, what I found when I got there was a DDR Tournament, tailored for the editors of IGN, not a small gathering of editors I imagined just hanging out at a bar, talking to the fans. I also saw about 20 other people who looked like nerds waiting for the chance to meet internet celebrities. In other words, my people. Here is the article I wrote on my iPod Touch while the whole thing was going on - from 4:00 to 6:15:

IGN gets the hottest girl they can find to introduce the event

IGN leads today with a sponsor from Jacklinks Jerky. Greg Miller and someone I don't recognize are first to play DDR (Not what would have been my first choice, but not bad. At all.) and the crowd loves it despite most of them not really knowing who these people about to play are. I've been to one Comic Con in my life, and the energy of the mass of people stuffed into this thin room are a close second to the masses at the convention. Greg Miller loses. People cheer. I have a feeling that's how this whole thing will go; no one seems to like the PS3 editor. Miller blames the Xbox 360. Next is a man whose arms look like they're covered in tattoos (this guy looks like he belongs to a Hot Topic marketing ad) and Ali - a newcomer to gaming I imagine since she had to be told how to play DDR. Ryan Clements I think his name is. He demolishes the girl without pity, but who needs pity when you have thunderous applause and Greg Miller yelling "Defeat her! No prisoners!"? The second match is over and now comes Hot Topic man with the person who beat Miller [Daemon Hatfield]. Not too bad, either of them. Certainly the best match so far. Still nothing really impressive. That's alright. These are IGN editors, not Japanese children. But DDR is over so quickly sometimes you can miss it in a blink. [Hatfield] wins and the crowd begins with a chant of "Blue shirt! Blue shirt!" which quickly dies down.

this is the crowd 5 mintues after "free beer" was declared

Now Greg Miller and Ali. The two losers. Who will win between the PS3 man and the lady n00b? It's anyone's guess. I know I'm cheering for Ali. Both failed the song with rank E. Hilarious. Now comes Blue shirt and Greg. They pick Gutterpunk. The best thing about Greg Miller is his high-top, black converse. It's the only shoe I wear. Also he looks like Dwight Schrute from "The Office" and seems to share some of the characteristics. They both failed but Greg Miller gets the higher score. Blue shirt and Ali again. The crowd still loves it. Screams and laughter are heard. The camera (independent company hired by IGN) might have something to do with that. A song is actually cleared. Ali with another E rank, but Blue shirt wins the match with a B. Greg and Blue shirt Round 2. The editors are enjoying it more than anyone else, it seems. Makes sense; the crowd is full of nothing but witnesses to the fun. Blue shirt wins. Good attempt, Greg, good attempt. Hot Topic [Clements] and Blue shirt [Hatfield]. Blue shirt's a pro. Nothing but a final bar. A rank. Final match of round two between Greg and Hot Topic. 5:44 - the tournament started at 5. Gotta tell you I love seeing that giant "FAILED" in the middle of a song. They tie with E rank. Blue shirt vs. Hot Topic for the final match. I don't think it's unreasonable to think Blue shirt will win - he's clearly done this before. But we'll see if time proves me wrong. The winner gets a gold-painted bobble head, holding a little bag of the beef jerky sponsor on top of a trophy. This may be the best victory prize ever even conceived. Oh no. Hot Topic guy already has no bar and Blue shirt's going at full force. It's over! It's all over! Blue gets the trophy! Congratulations are given all around.

In all it's ravishing splendor and glory

With the tournament over, people migrate downstairs. I've decided to stay to see what I can do to associate with the IGN-ers. Can't get to them though. Too many people, too small a body. Waiting at the top of the stairs. It's clear not even IGN predicted this many people. I heard someone say $1000 of free booze for the crowd ran out at 4:30. Impressive, but not surprising with this crowd. 20 minutes later and there are somehow more people here. I can't stay, have too many things to do. Too bad. These are the people I want to be like in the future. Maybe not exactly like them. As I walk down the stairs, I look back with a feeling of love and hopeful ambition, and the thought, "This is what I want to do with my life." But also comes a sad sense of longing. I want that kind of life as soon as possible, but I know it will take years of hard work, while I've only had one Super Dope blog for about a month and a half. I'll try to be patient. And I know my team of authors will make time go by quickly and the path a little easier. Besides, I'm already having the time of my life.

IGN Editors Profile Pages:

Greg Miller

Ryan Clements

Daemon Hatfield: The Winner

No comments:

Post a Comment