Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder (GADD): Being Distracted from your Distractions

Some co-workers and I about a year ago spent a couple of days to remember and write down how many games we've beaten to completion. One guy had about 30 games completed, another had around 80ish. My best buddy had about 150 games, which impressed everyone else in our dork circle. However, when it came down to my list, I hesitated, then brought out a 5-page document and laid it upon their curious eyes. The total count was 453. Immediate response from everyone? “....wow.”

Professionally (i.e. MS Paint) crafted graph depicting the inverse relationship between video game scoring and real life scoring. Apparently I was a stud when I was 3 years old.


I was both praised and made fun of soon afterward for such a “feat.” As I looked at the list again, I sat there and wondered, “What kind of time did I have growing up to have beaten 453 games in my lifetime? That doesn't even count the games I didn't beat.” As I sat there with shame and regret hanging high on my shoulders, I noticed a trend: there wasn't as many games listed within the recent years (2006-2009); the completed games were mostly accomplished between 1994 and 2004. As of one year from making that list, I've maybe completed 4 or 5 games at best, and I consider myself a seasoned gamer.

What's with the slacking? Why aren't I pounding through game after game per week, shotgunning a Mountain Dew and wiping Cheeto dust on my Zelda-themed triforce shirt every time I see the end credits roll? I've developed something many of my friends and other people have but seldom admit: Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder (GADD).


Some symptoms of GADD include the following: buying new games but only playing them for an hour and then shelving them, carrying on with those you've neglected but stopping because you forgot how to play and/or what the story entailed, dying three times in a game leads to you trading in the game in to Gamestop with the “it's not my thing” excuse, choosing work or social activities over quality gaming time, ignoring your MMO of choice in order to “raid” your girlfriend, becoming a contributing member to society, and so on.

One major cause of GADD is the saturation of the gaming market as a whole. The gaming industry tends to put its biggest releases during the September to December window for the holiday season (though that trend is getting less and less prominent, with publishers now spreading their supposed “triple A” titles throughout the year). Some gamers are reserved and purchase two, maybe three games during this season and are content. However, there are many (and, as a former Gamestop employee, I can attest to this) who will buy upwards of fifteen to twenty games within this timeframe. That's about a game a week. Having so many games on someone's plate will cause them to only fiddle around with their new copies of games for an hour and shelf them until a) they overcome GADD and complete the game, b) sell the game, or c) forever keep them on their Shelf of Unfulfilled Purchases.

Simply put, having too many games around you puts less emphasis on actually completing them. Completing the games you have before you buy new ones can be a cure to the problem, but gamers aren't that pragmatic – they have to buy the collector's edition
Final Fantasy XIII on midnight of its release and never get past the tutorial stage.


I feel like a lot of people such as myself, when we are afflicted with the deadly GADD, we tend to think of finishing a game as a chore or as “work.” When it gets to that point, we can probably blame the length of the game, or how terrible some aspects of the game are to prevent you from continuing. But the fact remains that you made the purchase, and you have to slog through Prototype's mundane missions because you dropped $60 bucks on that sucker, and you don't want to trade it in because your friend's beat the game and review sites are telling you there's a good game somewhere in there.

This guy has only actually played Super Mario Bros.

Or maybe the cause is that people my age are adults with obligations, not having time to entertain ourselves via the video game medium. Video games definitely take an ample amount of investment, but why is it that we have the income to purchase these distractions, only to not get the most of what we buy? It's fairly difficult to have a casual attitude about gaming, especially when we don't want to let go of our “veteran” gaming mindsets.

Final Fantasy 3/VI (pictured top) took me a couple of days to beat. With GADD, games like Final Fantasy XIII (pictured bottom) will take me 2 years to complete half the game. Thanks, GADD!

It's just unfortunate to spend money or time on a hobby you're not utilizing to full advantage. But for some, GADD isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you have obligations or friends or other relevant concerns in your life. But if you don't have those things, then I guess dying alone with your shelf of unfinished games is your only option.

7 comments:

  1. 100% Agree. I Have GADD, I rarely finish a game these days as I pick it up and get sick of it very quickly. If its shit I'll sell it straight away, if it's okish I'll keep it for a while.

    It's funny though, I tend to finish PSN and Live games easier (more unique gameplay, less commitment, pick up and play fun). I'm also neglecting a tonne of ps3 games I've only played for 30mins a piece, to play God of War 3 a replay.

    I think it's an age thing, I'm 27 and noticed a distinct dropoff over the last 2-3 years. In that time I've been focusing a lot on work, and would often rather chill watching tv.

    I often try to get the gf into games, and she loves some of them, which means more gaming time.

    Also I've been having sex with only 1 woman for the last 3 yrs while finishing less games.

    I had sex with many different women before that, and also finished a lot more games.

    So I think the longterm GF/Wife thing you've got to factor into your graph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep reading GADD as Gay DD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike: Glad you relate and thanks for reading the article. Marriage is a confounding variable that I haven't taken in to consideration. Your situation has brought a new light into the "laid gamers" paradigm.

    Anonymous: I could make that the official pronunciation. I will consider it for the Wikipedia entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is true:

    Alan Wake (one day i will finish it)
    FFXIII
    Red Dead Redemption
    Fallout 3 (does DLC count?)
    Basically any shooter campaign
    Assassin's Creed 2

    ...just in the last two months. When compared to the games I have beaten, at first I think its because I've found something annoying in the gameplay, but when I look at games like Red Dead, I'm not sure if thats exactly true.

    The girlfriend thing is definitely part of the equation, because when shes watching a movie or TV, I am left to play computer games instead (perhaps this explains why I've beaten Starcraft II, Medieval Total War II, and Battlefield a few times).

    Momentum also factors in my decision to finish or not finish a game. Most games have lulls inbetween the best parts, and if I leave the game for other endeavors during one of these lulls, its hard to come back (example: this chain of quests in RDR in Mexico that are seem disjointed from the main storyline).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick: Read Dead Redemption was strange for me as well; I stopped right as I got to Mexico. I wasn't particularly turned off by anything (I loved the story, the missions weren't that repetitive, etc.), but I just stopped playing the game. No good reason whatsoever. I haven't played it in almost 3 months.

    It's really tough to get that momentum again when you've stopped playing. When I do get it, I try really hard not to f*** it up and stick with that game primarily til' it's end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny that Red Dead keeps coming up, because as a current GameStop employee, I talk to a lot of gamers, hardcore and casual, and more and more of them come up to me and say they haven't beat it.

    I haven't beat it myself, and even a writer of one of the opinion pieces in October's Gameinformer specifically calls out Red Dead for being one of the games he has on top of his "games to beat" stack. It makes me wonder if Red Dead is as great a game as everyone makes it out to be. Sure the production value is great, and all the details have been fine tuned and whatnot, but if so many people are having such a hard time beating the game, I want to say that we shouldn't put all the blame on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I didn't know anyone else had GADD heck, I didn't even know it was called GADD :-P
    To anyone else with GADD, try this: http://backloggery.com/
    the backloggery is a site which you can add all your games to & list whether you have, unbeaten, beaten, completed or mastered any given game & it'll conveniently list the totals & percentages of unbeaten, beaten & completed games.

    This site helped me with my GADD for a while as I strove to achieve more of the shiny "beat" icons for my games but there is a flaw on that site in that if you beat a game twice or more it is still only counted as one "beat". So I found myself forcing myself to not play games I actually wanted to play, which I had already completed, & instead playing games I hadn't beaten yet but didn't want to play, just to get my "beaten games" count up. So hence for a while I was able to get over the GADD to increase my beat count w/ the help of the backloggery but after a while I felt I was playing the games more to get my beat count up, instead of playing the games because I enjoyed them. So now I don't update my backloggery but I do continue to play games I enjoy instead of only trying to get my beat count up.

    Thanks for the article, it was awesome *^_^*

    ReplyDelete