Saturday, September 18, 2010

This One's For The Ladies

That title is such a lie. This post is nothing but pure, gamer man to man action. ...Never mind that last sentence. The point is, would gamer guys be happier if their girlfriends or wives played video games? It has come to my attention, through the last article and a handful of people mentioning their significant others as a reason to not spend time gaming, that maybe there are some guys out there who would be much happier if their ladies were also gamers -- or even refuse be in a relationship with a non-gamer. It also has come to my attention that I begin many posts with questions that may never get answered, but I hope one day there will be people to answer them in the comments section. God I'm desperate... On To The Ladies!

I'm sure she really does play games in real life, too.

For my own case, I don't care if my girlfriend plays games or not, I just want her to understand that I love playing them. My last girlfriend didn't know how to pronounce Nintendo, let alone play something as complicated as Super Smash Brothers. My current girlfriend has collected all 150 Pokemon (There are no others and never will be). Twice. She's gotten all the Gold Cups on MarioKart Wii, owns Wii Fit and her own Rock Band guitar. Am I happier? By far, but that's not because she's got some gamer in her, it's because I'm in a better relationship. Plus, despite all this, she would never go so far as to call herself a gamer and gets a little annoyed with me when I spend extended periods of time gaming. That's fine; it makes sense to me. She understands how much of a gamer I am and supports me. She even tries to read Super Dope Gaming posts... sometimes. But enough about me and my perfect life. I wonder if life would be better for gamers if they had gamer girls.

They all look like this and apparently come with three of their own controllers.

One has to understand one thing before really getting into this discussion: women are crazy. I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way, but let's take a moment to think about it. Women have a lot of stuff to care about. They can't just roll out of bed and be ready to face the day like most guys. We men throw some jeans on, brush our teeth (sometimes), and find our only pair of non-work shoes before getting out there. There are so, so many more things for women to do. It's admirable, really. I know if I was a woman, I would crumble to pieces. I would never even go out when it's dark -- whatever sh*t I have to do can wait 'til morning. But that's all beside the point. How many more things can they take on without some aspects of their lives merging with one another? Let's say you have a hardcore gamer girlfriend and you love it. You guys even play the same games together or watch each other complete some story modes. But what happens when you headshot her in Halo: Reach? What if you camp her ass? How's that night gonna go for you? Not well, my friend, not well. Plan for your side of the bed to be the coldest thing you've ever felt.

"I have THREE kids! I... Am... INVINCIBLE!"

The most likely situation is you find a girl who'll play games, but only games like Rock Band or Wii Fit, and you'll just hate it whenever she picks up a controller. There are just some games that never, ever, need to be played. For every sexy, Wii Fit girl, there are hundreds more who love the most casual of games or have no idea how to even hold a controller. Is that what you want to deal with? Is it? Really? No. Stop it. Just... Just stop.

There are benefits to dating a gamer, let's be honest. But whether or not they outweigh the cons is up to you. For instance, if you are both excited for an upcoming game, maybe it'll be split between you two. Really the cost of any game-related items should go down overall. Imagine the kinds of gifts you'll be getting each other. Imagine sitting on the couch together watching the other beat the final boss. Imagine discussing the latest gaming trends and how terrible they are. Imagine playing co-op with your lady love and saving the universe together. I can see countless gaming experiences made better with having your girl next to you. Something like this scenario, if you will: "Yes! I finally got that last achievement!" "Wow, I'm so impressed, boyfriend! We should celebrate with some sex!" OK, OK, that will never happen. I can't even read it without a tone of sarcasm in that girl's voice, and I just made her up.

Of course, all this really only applies to those interested in the ladies to begin with. If you're a member of the fairer sex looking for a guy who meets all your gaming criteria, well, then you're obviously imaginary. But, if you're a gamer guy looking for another gamer guy, then fantastic, your search is easy. Congratulations on finding your soul mate, now wish the rest of us some luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment